Modesto Junior College is excited to share new English and Math placement options for students, and this probably affects you! A new state law (AB 705) was written to help students enter and complete transfer-level English and Math in one year.
What is AB 705?
AB 705 is a law that requires California Community Colleges to maximize the probability that a student will enter and complete transfer-level coursework in English and Math within a one year timeframe. MJC will place students into English and Math courses using one or more of the following:
- High school coursework
- High school grades
- High school grade point average
- Guided-Self Placement
New Placement Options:
- Students who have graduated from high school in the last 10 years will receive an English and Math placement automatically upon completion of the online admission application (CCCApply).
- If you do not have a high school record from the last 10 years, you will take the self-guided placement. Self-Guided Placement is an activity that provides an opportunity to choose the course(s) most suitable for you.
Are you a Continuing or Returning Student?
Current students are also eligible with these new placement methods. If a current and or returning student has already started the English or Math sequence receives a higher placement using the new placement methods, they will be allowed to enroll in the higher level course.
How will I receive my results?
Students will receive their English and Math placement via email and it will be available in PiratesNet.
For quick assistance on East and West Campus, walk-in counseling and support services are available in the MJC Pathways centers. Counseling appointments are also encouraged, and available here.
- East Campus: Student Services Building, Room 128
- West Campus: Yosemite Hall, Room 118
We are here to help - please do not hesitate to reach out or come in to talk with us!
Learn more about AB 705 HERE.