Help With Online Classes
Canvas is the online learning management system (LMS) for courses at MJC. Online and remote courses use Canvas for communication, course content, assignments, and announcements. Zoom is a video conferencing tool used for remote class meetings and online instructor office hours.
Zoom and Canvas Webinars
These webinars are geared towards students that would like to know how to use Zoom and Canvas.
October 4, 2021 at 10 a.m.
Meeting ID: 924 0083 3386
October 5, 2021 at 6 p.m.
Meeting ID: 952 3922 0286
Desktops and Laptops: Join Zoom meetings through a web browser or the Zoom app. Mobile Devices: Join Zoom meetings through the app.
Updating the Zoom App
Keep the Zoom app working smoothly by updating every couple of weeks. (Zoom does not update automatically.)
Update on a mobile device or on a computer without signing in
- Download/update the Zoom app. If you are experiencing any issues with Zoom, it can help to uninstall and then reinstall the app.
Update on a computer after signing in
- If you have a Zoom account, you can update the app on a computer by following these steps:
- Open the Zoom App on your computer (not Zoom on your browser). Sign in.
- Click on your image or avatar in the upper right corner (not the gear icon).
- Click “Check for Updates.”
Many Internet Service Providers offer free or low-cost options to qualifying customers.
- Canvas Student Guides cover a range of topics including getting started in Canvas, submitting assignments, and participating in discussions.
- Check out the video below for a quick overview on how to get started in Canvas:
- Submitting Assignments in Canvas
- Accessing Assignment Feedback in Canvas
- Posting Discussions in Canvas
- Recording Videos in Canvas
- Canvas Modules
- Canvas Inbox
- Manage Email Notifications from Canvas
- Download or Update Google Chrome (Recommended Browser for Canvas)
You can use Canvas courses from a computer by clicking the Canvas icon at the upper right of this webpage, or you can download the smartphone app:
Other Helpful Resources
- Grading Options During COVID-19
- Library Semester Loans for books, calculators, laptops, and hotspots.
- Turnitin Student Guides
- VoiceThread Student Guides
- PlayPosit Student Guide
- Take a Screenshot
- on Windows: Press the windows key + Print Screen (PrtScn). Access the image from Pictures.
- on Macs: Press Shift + Command + 3. Access the image from your desktop.
- Submit handwritten assignments to Canvas using Adobe Scan from a smartphone.
- Free download of Microsoft Office 365 Suite for writing essays and completing assignments.
- Take the Online Readiness Quiz
- Plagiarism: What It Is and How To Avoid It