What are Basic Needs?
Basic Needs refers to the food, stable housing, and wellness security of our students at Modesto Junior College as well as community members. We have support programs and resources that can assist our students in meeting their basic needs and promoting their academic success. Basic needs security has been shown to have a direct impact on the mental-emotional-physical health, wellness, academic performance, professional development, and holistic success of our students. The MJC Basic Needs Program looks to increase accessibility to food, housing, mental wellness along with financial resources.
Our mission is to provide students with the support programs and resources necessary to meet their basic needs, so students can focus on their academic success. Modesto Junior College is committed to providing an educational environment that fosters compassion and respect, welcomes diversity, and supports students in various circumstances, including students experiencing housing and food insecurities as well as other mental and emotional health needs.
Basic Needs Assistance Intake Form
This form is to request basic needs assistance and support for the following:
- Housing resources and referrals
- Pirate emergency grant funds
- On campus food resources
- Off campus food resources
- Cal fresh Application Assistance
- Personal Care, hygiene, and clothing
- Mental Health Wellness Support & Information
Submitting this intake form does not automatically guarantee all services applied for.
- This tool is used to assess eligibility and to gather information prior to the student meeting with the Basic Needs Program representative
- Most services are only available for currently enrolled students.
What to expect after submitting this form?
- Upon completion of this form, you will receive a confirmation message indicating that we have received your application.
- Your application is then assigned to a designated staff member who will reach out to you to schedule a meeting.
- The purpose of the meeting is to become more familiar with your situation, connect you with additional resources based on your situation as well as collect information to assess the eligibility of services that you are requesting.
- Once your meeting is complete the information is reviewed by the Basic Needs Staff and Leadership team.
- You will be contacted via email and/or phone about the status of your application
- For any questions or follow-up on your request for assistance please contact 209.575.7902 or email firstname.lastname@example.org
Free Services Related to Basic Needs
- CARES Act - The Coronavirus Aid, Relief, and Economic Security (CARES) Act is a federal economic relief package.
- Career Services - MJC offers career assistance focused on career exploration and professional readiness.
- Counseling - Academic, career, and personal counseling is provided as a service to all MJC students.
- FLOW - (Free Lunch On Wednesdays) An event hosted by students with the goal of treating other students to lunch.
- Health Services - MJC promotes the health and wellness of students through health education and services to optimize their overall well-being.
- Housing and Homelessness Resources - Support and guidance to housing, shelters, and emergency aid.
- Pirates' Pantry - We help meet the basic needs of students through the availability of free food as well as on and off-campus resources.
- TimelyCare 24/7 Virtual Care Services - Free mental health support.
Interested in joining our team as a Student Worker?
If you are eligible for the Federal Work-Study program or CalWORKs, you may apply for a Basic Needs student worker position by clicking on this link: