The deadline to complete all sections of the application, upload academic transcripts, have recommendations in a complete status and hit the submit button is January 31, 2024!
The scholarship application and all information submitted is confidential!
Who is Eligible to Apply?
- MJC Students who have a 2.5 or higher cumulative grade point average after fall 2023 grades have been posted (some scholarships will require a cumulative grade point average of 3.0 or higher).
- MJC Students who have 12 units completed by the end of the fall 2023 semester. All 12 units do not have to be from the fall 2023 term. Example; if a student took 6 units spring 2023, 2 units summer 2023 and have 4 units fall 2023, that would meet the 12 units completed requirement to apply.
- Current high school seniors who will be new incoming freshman fall 2024 are exempt from the 12 unit requirement, but will need to scan and upload a copy of their high school transcript as it stands by January 31, 2024.
- Students must have a major to write about in the essay module of the application.
Before You Begin
The MJC Awardspring online application will be available October 1, 2023, until the deadline, January 31, 2024. Students will be able to access the application during that time frame only. Because it is easy to get busy and forget about the deadline, time management and attention to the deadline are important.
Important Information Regarding the Scholarship Essay
- One of the most important components of the application is the essay. We don’t want just a paragraph, but a well put together college level essay with an introduction, 2 to 3 supporting paragraphs and a conclusion.
- The essay should tell us a little bit about you, your major, why you chose this major, and where do you see yourself going with it in the future. Write thoughtfully and be genuine. Allow the real you and the passion for your major to shine through.
- When writing your scholarship essay, stay on topic! Make sure you do not get off track and start writing about things that have nothing to do with your major. Proofreading your essay will help.
- A set word requirement is not required. The program will not allow for more than 1000 words in this section of the application. It is recommended that you copy and paste your essay from Word/Office.
- Students are required to submit 2 complete online recommendations by the January 31, 2024 deadline. It is imperative to check that a response to the recommendation request has been received before the final deadline, January 31, 2024! This is the responsibility of the student. Be mindful and ask the instructor in advance for his/her endorsement. Let them know ahead of time that he/she will receive an email request for an online recommendation directly from your awardspring scholarship application and that the final deadline is January 31, 2024!
- Two online recommendations are required! One recommendation must be from an instructor and the other can be from another instructor, academic counselor, school official (that is familiar with your classroom participation), coach and or your employer, but only if the employment can be connected to your major. Recommendations from family, friends and coworkers are not acceptable!
- Something to keep in mind, when we look at your academic transcript and see that you’ve done well in classes that pertain to your major, we hope to see at least one or two recommendations from those instructors.
Optional File Uploads
At the end the application you will come to a section for optional file uploads. Just as the name indicates, this is optional. It is strongly recommended that you take full advantage of this area to upload things like artwork or photography, short stories/poetry, certificates/awards, if you made the MJC President’s list for grades, upload a copy of the letter received from the president of the college. Remember, the committee member or donor who reads your application doesn’t know you, so make every effort to share as much as you can.
Checklist Before Hitting the Submit Button
- I have completed ALL sections of the application!
- My essay contains an introduction paragraph, 2 to 3 supporting paragraphs and a conclusion.
- My essay clearly states my major and future plans as they pertain to my major.
- An unofficial transcript that includes fall 2023 grades has been scanned and uploaded to the application as a PDF.
- The 2 recommendations required are in a complete status and are no longer pending. At least one recommendation is from an instructor and the other is another instructor, school official, counselor, or employer (only if the employment can be connected to your major). No family, friends, mentors or co-workers!
- All the above checklist items are complete and the submit button has been hit by the deadline!
Click below for access to the application and sign-in using your school login information
- October 13 at 2 p.m. MJC East Campus Library
- November 17 at 2 p.m. MJC East Campus Library
- December 8 at 2 p.m. MJC East Campus Library
- January 12 at 2 p.m. MJC East Campus Library
Hyperlink to the Youtube tutorial - https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=e4sdhrGU1co
- Please feel free to reach out to the scholarship office for questions and other general
inquiries that you didn’t find in the instructions to apply.
- Melissa Clark (209) 575-7715