"Never doubt that a small group of dedicated people can change the world. Indeed, it is the only thing that ever has." ~ Margaret Mead
Since 2004, the MJC Civic Engagement Project has been a joint venture between the Yosemite Community College District, Associated Students of MJC (ASMJC) and the League of Women Voters of Modesto. The initiative is designed to bring together faculty, staff, students, and members of the community to develop a series of opportunities to educate and empower members of the Modesto Junior College and greater Modesto area community.
As part of the district's Educational Excellence Initiative, the Modesto Junior College Civic Engagement Project will endeavor to promote responsible social stewardship as a primary value in higher education.
The project presently has three areas of interest:
- Film & Lecture
- Project Green
- Voter Education
Fall 2023 Housing Inequity Events
(In collaboration with the BSS School's Democracy In the Public Space and the UMOJA Community)
- Thursday, September 28, 7 pm to 9 pm, MJC East Campus, Forum 110 - FILM: OWNED - A documentary on the history of housing policy and inequality - screening of the film Owned followed by a discussion with Dr. Jose R. Diaz-Garayua, Associate Professor of Geography at CSU Stanislaus and local housing experts Sharon and Dave Froba, Esq.
- (This is an MJC Civic Engagement Project event)
- Monday, October 9, 1 pm to 2:30 pm, MJC East Campus, Forum 110 - PANEL: Our Housing Crisis: Local Leaders Weigh In - panel discussion will focus on the barriers, challenges, and workable solutions to building quality, low-cost housing in the incorporated and unincorporated areas of Stanislaus County and/or effecting more housing and neighborhood rehabilitation in those areas.
- Kristen Doud, Deputy Director, Stanislaus County Planning Dept.,
- Joe Duran, Executive Director and CFO, Stanislaus Equity Partners,
- Jessica Hill, Interim Director of Community and Economic Development, City of Modesto
- Carol Ornelas, CEO, Visionary Home Builders of California, Inc.
- (This is a School of Behavioral and Social Sciences' Democracy in the Public Space event).
- Monday, October 16, 1 pm to 2 pm, MJC East Campus, Forum 110, LECTURE: Local Housing & Environmental Justice
- Bianca Lopez, Project Director, Valley Improvement Projects
- (This is a School of Behavioral and Social Sciences' Democracy in the Public Space
- Monday, October 23, 1 pm to 2:30 pm, MJC East Campus, Forum 110 - PRESENTATION: Housing Inequity: A Local History - presentation by MJC history interns. (This is a Behavioral and Social Sciences' Democracy in the Public Space event)
- Monday, October 30, 1 pm to 2 pm, MJC East Campus, Forum 110 - PANEL: The Color of Law: Real-World Stories of Real Estate Discrimination
- Lionel Akpovi, Broker, Redwood Real Estate Group
- Chandra Howard, Professor of English & UMOJA Elder, Modesto Junior College
- Marvin Jackson, Professor of History & UMOJA Elder, Modesto Junior College
- Dejeuné M. Shelton, Director of Career Services & UMOJA Elder, Modesto Junior College
- (This is an MJC UMOJA Community event)
Saturday, November 8, and Wednesdays, November 4 & 15 - Just Action: Book Discussions
- 11/4 @11:00 am | Salida Public Library | 4835 Sisk Rd., Salida
- 11/8 @ 6:00 pm | Turlock Public Library | 550 n. Minaret Ave., Turlock
- 11/15 @ Noon | Learning & Library Center | MJC East Campus
Thursday, November 16, 7 pm, Sierra Hall 132, MJC West Campus - Just Action: How to Challenge Segregation Enacted Under the Color of Law. An Evening with noted author Leah Rothstein(This is an MJC Civic Engagement Project event)
Constitution Day Celebration and Information:
Modesto Junior College celebrates with a free, public Constitution Day event on campus to emphasize the importance of the U.S. Constitution, and in order to comply with the federal regulation requiring the development of educational programming to acknowledge Constitution Day each year. The event is usually held in the evening and features a presentation by a speaker. Students and staff have access to U.S. Constitution Day educational resources online from Civics Renewal Network which contains free Constitution Day materials. Another website containing resources for civics education is available at www.annenbergclassroom.org.