RFTC EMT Health Clearance Requirements
2. Tdap vaccination
- Documentation of a Tdap vaccine within the past 10 years.
3. TB clearance (choose one, must be within past 6 months)
- Laboratory: TB Clearance laboratory screenings such as the QuantiFERON TB Gold, T-Spot or Interferon screenings are accepted.
- Two-step TST: The first TST is placed and then a reading is obtained within 48-72 hours. If negative, a second TST is placed a week after the first TST was READ. The student is instructed to return within 48 to 72 hours to read the second TST.
- All TB screenings MUST be completed before receiving any live-virus vaccinations such as MMR Vaccine, Varicella Vaccine, or Flu Mist-Nasal Spray. Make sure that all required TSTs are obtained prior to receiving any live-virus vaccinations to avoid delays in the clearance process (see the CDC guidelines for more information).
- Complete the Two-step TST form and upload to the Health Services Portal or bring to the Health Services office.
- If you have a history of positive TST or laboratory screening you will need to obtain a chest x-ray for your TB clearance.
4. Hepatitis B immunity
- Show proof of complete or in-progress Hepatitis B vaccination series or proof of immunity through positive antibody titers/or a signed declination of Hepatitis B vaccination form.
5. Flu vaccination (due by 9th week for fall semester, due at time of clearance for spring semester)
- Documentation of a current flu vaccination is recommended during the flu season
- vaccine documentation if available
- What is a Health Clearance?
It is a list of requirements set up by a specific academic program. Many of these requirements are in place to protect patients and staff from communicable diseases in health care settings.
- Do I have to use the MJC Health Services office to obtain the items needed for my clearance?
The final Health Clearance document can only be obtained through the Health Services office. You may choose to go to your own health care provider to obtain any immunizations, screenings or TB clearances needed.
- Do I make an appointment for my Health Clearance?
Yes, please contact the Health Services office to schedule an appointment for your health clearance. Upload your documents to the Health Services Portal in preparation for your review with the Health Services nurse.
- How long will it take to receive my final clearance?
It can take anywhere from 1-3 weeks to obtain all your items and receive your final clearance. We recommend starting your clearance process and uploading your documents as soon as possible.
- What is the cost of immunizations, screenings or lab work?
Please refer to the MJC Fee Schedule.
- Can I get all my immunizations, screenings or lab work at once?
It depends on which immunizations and screenings you need. The nurse will review your immunization record to determine what you need and guide you through the clearance process.
- Where can I have the lab work (titers) completed?
After obtaining a lab request from the Health Services office or your primary care provider, the lab work may be completed at any Quest Lab or lab indicated by your provider. Should your titers indicate that you lack immunity to a particular disease, you will be required to obtain a booster vaccine or the entire series of immunizations for that particular disease (depending on your specific immunization history).
RFTC EMT Health Clearance Worksheet
Use this list to check-off items that you have written documentation or proof of. Upload documents to the Health Services Portal or bring to the Health Services Office or for verification and review by the nurse.
Final Health Clearance:
All items listed below will need to be completed then uploaded to the Health Services Portal for the Health Services nurse to review before a final Health Clearance is granted.
*MMR (Measles, Mumps, Rubella) Vaccine Series
(Only one required for students born in or before 1956, two required for students born in or after 1957)
*Two-step PPD/TSTs MUST be completed before receiving *live-virus vaccinations such as MMR and Varicella
- First MMR
- Second MMR
- MMR IgG Titer(s)
- must be current within the past 10 years
- QuantiFERON TB Gold/T-Spot/InterFERON (within last 6 months)
- *Two-step TB Skin Test (TST)
The first TST is placed and then a reading is obtained within 48-72 hours. If negative, a second TST is placed 7 days after the first TST was READ. The second TST is also to be read within 48 to 72 hours of placement. *Two-step PPD/TSTs MUST be completed before receiving *live-virus vaccinations such as MMR and Varicella
- First TST (within the last 12 months)
- Second TST (within last 6 months)
- Chest X-Ray
If TB screening is positive or contraindicated, a chest x-ray report (with a written comment indicating no disease present) or a Public Health Department Clearance completed within the last 6 months is required.
Hepatitis B Vaccine Series
- First Hep B
- Second Hep B
- Third Hep B
- Hepatitis B Surface Antibody Titer
- Declination of Hepatitis B vaccine form
Annual Influenza Vaccine
- must obtain within 9 wks. after 1st day of sem
- Declination of Flu vaccination form
- vaccine documentation if available