What is AB 540?
California Nonresident Tuition Exemption For Eligible California High School Graduates (The law passed by the Legislature in 2001 as "AB 540")
Any student, other than a non-immigrant alien, who meets all of the following requirements, shall be exempt from paying nonresident tuition at the California Community Colleges, the California State University and the University of California (all public colleges and universities in California).
What Are the Requirements?
- The student must have attended a high school (public or private) in California for three or more years.
- The student must have graduated from a California high school or attained the equivalent prior to the start of the term (for example, passing a GED or California High School Proficiency exam).
- An alien student who is without lawful immigration status must file an affidavit with the college or university stating that he or she has filed an application to legalize his or her immigration status, or will file an application as soon as he or she is eligible to do so.
- Students who are non-immigrants [for example, those who hold F (student) visas, B (visitor) visas, etc.] are not eligible for this exemption.
- The student must file an exemption request including a signed affidavit with the college that indicates the student has met all applicable conditions described above. Student information obtained in this process is strictly confidential unless disclosure is required under law.
- Students eligible for this exemption who are transferring to another California public college or university must submit a new request (and documentation if required) to each college under consideration.
- Nonresident students meeting the criteria will be exempted from the payment of nonresident tuition, but they will not be classified as California residents. They continue to be "nonresidents".
As an AB 540 student can I apply to EOP&S?
Yes! EOP&S AB 540 students need to:
1) Apply to Modesto Junior College on-line- MJC Application
2) Complete MJC Math, English, & Reading Assessment Testing- https://www.mjc.edu/studentservices/placement/
4) Attend an EOP&S Application Workshop
For more resources for undocumented students, please check out the International Student Program web page by clicking the link below: