What is SALUTE?
SALUTE stands for Service, Academics, Leadership, Unity, Tribute, and Excellence. In 2009, Colorado State University was awarded the ACE/Wal-Mart Success for Veterans Grant, and from that SALUTE Veterans National Honor Society was created. SALUTE is the first honor society created for student veterans and military at higher education institutions nationwide.
The founders of SALUTE at Colorado State University write, "Some of the terms synonymous with SALUTE are to acknowledge, congratulate, hail, pay homage, pay respects, pay tribute, present arms, and recognize. These are the types of things we at SALUTE hope to do for our members who have shown courage, strength, leadership, excellence, and perseverance in their military endeavors and now are showing that same commitment to their academic careers."
Each student selected for recognition through membership in SALUTE will receive a military style challenge coin and a certificate suitable for framing. Members of SALUTE Honor Society have full access to the scholarships available by SALUTE. These nationally recognized scholarships are intended to aid student veterans who need supplementation of their GI Bill® funding, as well as those who lack GI Bill benefits.
- Be currently enrolled as a student.
- Qualify as military or veteran student under locally derived and maintained definitions. Applicants must submit a DD-214 Member 4 copy that displays the character of service (honorable discharge). Applicants currently serving on active duty or in the Guard or Reserves must submit a copy of orders for their current duty assignment.
- Have completed a minimum of 12units.
- Have a minimum GPA of a 3.0
- Have served or currently be serving in the military, National Guard, or reserves. If no longer serving, have been honorably discharged from service.
- Maintain the highest ethical standards.
- Alpha tier – students with a grade point average between 3.75 and 4.0.
- Bravo tier – students with a grade point average between 3.5 and 3.74.
- Charlie tier – students with a grade point average between 3.25 and 3.49.
- Delta tier – students with a grade point average between 3.0 and 3.24.
For more information about SALUTE Veterans National Honor Society, please visit SALUTE's website