Transferring to a California State University (CSU)
Start Your Application Today! Click Here
The California State University is one of two public university systems in the state of California. It is the nation's largest university system, with 23 CSU campuses serving over 450,000 students. The CSU offers bachelor's and master's degree programs in over 300 subject areas, as well as a variety of teaching credential programs. A select number of doctoral degrees are offered jointly with the University of California or with private universities in California.
One Application, 23 Campuses
|Spring 2022 Application Period||Fall 2021 Application Period|
|August 1, 2021 to August 31, 2021||October 1, 2020 to December 4, 2020|
You only need to fill out the application once and you will be able to submit it to as many available CSU campuses as you would like. If you do not qualify for a fee waiver, there is a $70 fee for each application you submit. The application is online only and you will need the following information to be able to fill it out completely:
- Unofficial transcripts
- Your Social Security number
- Your citizenship status
- A method of payment (If you do not qualify for a fee waiver. Each application you submit is $70.)
- Annual income (Your parent's if you are a dependent, your income if you are independent.)
- Your MJC student ID number (w#)
- EOP only: Your parent's employment background and two recommendations
You must meet each of the following requirements to be eligible for transfer to a California State University. Please keep in mind; these are MINIMUM requirements. Impacted campuses will most likely have higher requirements.
- 1 Oral Communication Course class totaling 3 units, passed with a grade of C/P/CR or better.
- (See section A.1 on the CSU GE transfer pattern of Group 1C on the IGETC transfer pattern)
- 1 Written Communication Course class totaling 3 or 5 units, passed with a grade of C/P/CR or better.
- (See section A.2 on the CSU GE transfer pattern or Group 1A on the IGETC transfer pattern)
- 1 Critical Thinking Course class totaling 3 units, passed with a grade of C/P/CR or better.
- (See section A.3 on the CSU GE transfer pattern or Group 1B on the IGETC transfer pattern)
- 1 Mathematics & Quantitative Reasoning Course class totaling 3 or 4 units, passed with a grade of C/P/CR or better.
- (See section B.4 on the CSU GE transfer pattern or Area 2A on the IGETC transfer pattern)
- 60 transferrable units
- (Only courses numbered 100-299 are considered transferrable)
- 2.0 GPA
- Major coursework completed
- (Can be found on: Assist)
Associate Degrees for Transfer
The Associate of Arts for Transfer and the Associate of Science for Transfer are two-year associate degrees that are fully transferable to the CSU and are no more than 60 semester units. With these Associate Degrees for Transfer (ADT), students who meet the CSU’s minimum eligibility requirements are guaranteed priority admission to a CSU campus, though not necessarily to a particular campus or major. These degrees with a guarantee allow you to earn two college degrees, your associate's degree and your bachelor's degree! Modesto Junior College offers 28 Associate Degree for Transfer options! Find your future degree from the lists below.
Additional information can be found here: A Degree With a Guarantee
|School||Fall 2021 Application Status||School||Fall 2021 Application Status|
|Channel Islands||Open||Cal Poly, Pomona||Open|
|Dominguez Hills||Open||San Bernardino||International Only Spring 2021 Application Due 12/15/2020
Fall 2021 Open
|East Bay||Open||San Diego||Open|
|Humboldt||Spring 2021 Application Due 12/1/2020
Fall 2021 Open
|Cal Poly, San Luis Obispo||Open|
|Long Beach||Open||San Marcos||Open|
As you fill out your application, you may see that some CSU campuses and/or programs are "impacted". This means that there are more qualified applicants than there are available spaces. Impacted schools and programs may have additional requirements or they may ask for a higher GPA from transfer students. For additional impaction information, please review the impacted programs matrix at the link below. Or, if you'd prefer, you can search for specific programs and campuses at the impacted campus search.
California State University Campuses
Below is a list of links to all campuses in the California State University system. If you are looking for more campus-specific information, check out their websites!