Transferring to a California State University (CSU)
The California State University is one of two public university systems in the state of California. It is the nation's largest university system, with 23 CSU campuses serving over 450,000 students. The CSU offers bachelor's and master's degree programs in over 300 subject areas, as well as a variety of teaching credential programs. A select number of doctoral degrees are offered jointly with the University of California or with private universities in California.
One Application, 23 Campuses
|Spring 2021 Application Period||Fall 2021 Application Period|
|August 1, 2020 to August 31, 2020||October 1, 2020 to November 30, 2020|
You only need to fill out the application once and you will be able to submit it to as many available CSU campuses as you would like. If you do not qualify for a fee waiver, there is a $70 fee for each application you submit. The application is online only and you will need the following information to be able to fill it out completely:
- Unofficial transcripts
- Your Social Security number
- Your citizenship status
- A method of payment (If you do not qualify for a fee waiver. Each application you submit is $70.)
- Annual income (Your parent's if you are a dependant, your income if you are independent.)
- Your MJC student ID number (w#)
- EOP only: Your parent's employment background and two recommendations
You must meet each of the following requirements to be eligible for transfer to a California State University. Please keep in mind; these are MINIMUM requirements. Impacted campuses will most likely have higher requirements.
- 1 Oral Communication Course class totaling 3 units, passed with a grade of C/P/CR or better.
- (See section A.1 on the CSU GE transfer pattern of Group 1C on the IGETC transfer pattern)
- 1 Written Communication Course class totaling 3 or 5 units, passed with a grade of C/P/CR or better.
- (See section A.2 on the CSU GE transfer pattern or Group 1A on the IGETC transfer pattern)
- 1 Critical Thinking Course class totaling 3 units, passed with a grade of C/P/CR or better.
- (See section A.3 on the CSU GE transfer pattern or Group 1B on the IGETC transfer pattern)
- 1 Mathematics & Quantitative Reasoning Course class totaling 3 or 4 units, passed with a grade of C/P/CR or better.
- (See section B.4 on the CSU GE transfer pattern or Area 2A on the IGETC transfer pattern)
- 60 transferrable units
- (Only courses numbered 100-299 are considered transferrable)
- 2.0 GPA
- Major coursework completed
- (Can be found on: Assist)
How to Apply
To apply for the CSU, click this link: Cal State Apply
Scroll down the page until you see a box asking you to select a term. Create your account and select your school and major. If you have any questions or need additional assistance, stop by the Transfer Center and our knowledgeable staff can help you fill out your application! Or, click the links below to read the guides on how to fill out the application.
|School||Spring 2021 Application Status||School||Spring 2021 Application Status|
|Bakersfield||Open||Northridge||International & Veteran Students Only|
|Channel Islands||Open; Excluded Majors: Nursing, Mechatronics||Cal Poly, Pomona||Open; Excluded Majors: All Impacted Programs|
|Chico||Open||Sacramento||Open; Excluded Majors: All Impacted Programs|
|Dominguez Hills||International & Veteran Students Only||San Bernardino||International Only Application Due 12/15/2020; Veterans Only Application Due 9/30/2020|
|East Bay||Open; Excluded Majors: Nursing||San Diego||Open; Excluded Majors: Some Impacted Programs|
|Fresno||Open||San Francisco||Open; Excluded Majors: Industrial Design, Visual Communication Design, Nursing, Social Work|
|Fullerton||Open; Excluded Majors: Some Impacted Programs||San Jose||Open; Excluded Majors: Animation, Illustration, Pre-Nursing, Undeclared|
|Humboldt||Open; Application Due 12/1/2020||Cal Poly, San Luis Obispo||Closed|
|Long Beach||Open; Excluded Majors: Social Work, Athletic Training, Communicative Disorders||San Marcos||Open; Excluded Majors: Nursing, Electrical Engineering|
|Los Angeles||Open; Excluded Majors: Nursing||Sonoma||Open; Application Due 9/15/2020; Excluded Majors: Nursing|
|Maritime||Open; Excluded Majors: All Impacted Programs||Stanislaus||Open|
Unless otherwise stated above, spring 2021 applications are due by midnight on Monday, August 31, 2020.
As you fill out your application, you may see that some CSU campuses and/or programs are "impacted". This means that there are more qualified applicants than there are available spaces. Impacted schools and programs may have additional requirements or they may ask for a higher GPA from transfer students. For additional impaction information, please review the impacted programs matrix at the link below. Or, if you'd prefer, you can search for specific programs and campuses at the impacted campus search.
California State University Campuses
Below is a list of links to all campuses in the California State University system. If you are looking for more campus-specific information, check out their websites!