Academic Advising & Counseling is provided as a service to MJC students.
Educational Counseling services are provided at Modesto Junior College through the Counseling Division in a variety of formats online including individual appointments, group workshop/advising sessions, walk-in availability, instructional courses.
Our goal is to advance student progress toward certificates, associate degrees, and/or transfer to baccalaureate awarding campuses such as the University of California, California State Universities, Private Colleges/Universities, and Out-of-State Colleges/Universities. The program’s purpose is to assist students in the development of Educational Plans that are compatible with a diverse set of career and life goals. Counselors assist students with course selection appropriate to their major or educational goal. Counselors can help with mapping out a plan enabling the student to estimate the length of time needed to reach their goal. Counselors can assist with careful course selection so that the student's time and effort is maximized. The Transfer Center also assists students in identifying and understanding transfer requirements. Advising for students who are transferring involves identification of and enrollment in transferable courses that satisfy college and university requirements and fulfill the prerequisites of intended majors.
Group academic advising services and workshops are provided by the Counseling Center for students who may be on academic probation/dismissal or progress probation/dismissal. Referrals are sometimes made to resources on campus to assist with student success. Counseling may involve a recommendation to repeat courses or apply for academic renewal.
New student advising services are offered during registration periods. All new and current MJC students should complete an educational plan regardless of the academic goal so that a clear picture is kept of what courses are needed. Periodically, students may be in need of modifying an individual educational plan. Students should schedule an appointment with an MJC counselor in order to refine goals and objectives, understand available alternatives, and evaluate alternative courses of action. Counselors review and utilize all available data.
Counselors assist MJC students in realizing their educational goals and objectives through the following activities:
- Development of suitable educational plans for all students.
- Selection of appropriate courses and course taking patterns.
- Explanation of MJC's institutional requirements for AA/AS degree and certificate programs as well as transfer admission requirements for UC, CSU, Private and Out-of-State institutions.
- Identification of available educational resources that assist students in successful matriculation.
- Evaluation of student progress toward established educational/personal/career goals and objectives.
- Development of decision-making skills.
- Reinforcement of student self-direction.
- Clarification of life and career goals and referrals to the Career Development & Transfer Center when appropriate.
- Problem solving and referral to support services when appropriate.