Students at the M.J.C. East Campus

Get Started at MJC

Step 1: Apply Online
Step 2: College Orientation 
Step 3: English & Math Placement
Step 4: Education Plan
Step 5: Apply for Financial Aid
Step 6: Register for Classes

Need help?

Contact the friendly Enrollment Services staff if you have questions about adding or dropping classes, or filing for pass/no pass.

Other questions? Call 209-575-6789.

The Assessment Testing Office administers tests to help you select appropriate courses or satisfy pre-requisites.

International students should start by visiting our Information for International Students.

Modesto Junior College


Getting Started 

  1. What do I need to do if I’m a new student?
  2. What do I need to do if I want to take classes while I’m still in high school?
  3. What is orientation and do I need it?
  4. What are the differences between a new, continuing and returning student?
  5. What programs/majors does MJC offer?


  1. How many units must I enroll in to be full time?
  2. Are there certain courses I can’t enroll in? What is a prerequisite?
  3. If I am currently enrolled in the prerequisite (and the semester is not yet finished) can I register in the next course?
  4. What is a pass/ no pass course?
  5. If I get a D or F in a course, do I have to repeat it?
  6. Where can I get proof of enrollment?
  7. Where can I get a Schedule of classes or college catalog?
  8. What if I need help with a class that I’m attending?
  9. How do I drop a class? Are there deadlines?
  10. What do I do if I have a hold on my registration?


  1. What does a counselor do? Do I need to see one?
  2. Am I assigned a particular counselor?
  3. How do I make an appointment to see a counselor?
  4. Can I see a counselor without an appointment?
  5. Are evening appointments available?
  6. What should I bring with me when I see a counselor?
  7. Do I need to meet with a counselor before I can register for classes?
  8. What is a student educational plan?
  9. Do I need to see a counselor every semester?
  10. Can I talk to a counselor about personal topics? Will it remain confidential?
  11. Can I send a counselor a quick question online?

Academic Advising 

  1. What is a major? Do I have to declare one?
  2. What is General Education?
  3. What is a certificate program?
  4. What is an Associate of Arts/ Science (AA/AS) Degree?


  1. If I get an AA/ AS can I automatically transfer to a four year college?
  2. How do I transfer to another college?

If you did not find the answer to a brief question here, you may refer to the Online Advising menu item on the left.

Getting Started

  1.  What do I need to do if I’m a new student?  As a new student, you have a number of steps that you will need to take. You will need to fill out an Admission application on-line, request to have official high school or college transcripts submitted to the Enrollment Services Office as soon as your graduation/ final grades have been recorded, take an assessment test, apply for Financial Aid if needed, participate in a new student orientation on-line , attend new student advising with a counselor, register for classes on-line, pay your fees upon registration.

  2.  What do I need to do if I want to take classes while I’m still in high school?  Modesto Junior College grants advanced admission for students who are still in high school and want to take college courses. If you are still in high school you will want to make an appointment with your high school counselor. Advance admission students must have their parent or legal guardian and their high school counselor or principal sign their Petition for Advanced Admission form, in addition to completing the regular admission process.

  3.  What is orientation and do I need it?  All new and returning students, including special admits (7th-12th grade students), who have not previously attended a MJC college orientation or completed an MJC guidance class are required to attend orientation prior to their registration date and time. Orientation familiarizes each new MJC student with campus policies, procedures, and student rights and responsibilities. Orientations are done on-line or in person. Students who are exempt from orientation are welcome to attend an orientation session.

  4.  What are the differences between a new, continuing and returning student?  A new student has never attended MJC before. A continuing student has enrolled in one or more classes within the past year. A returning student previously attended MJC but has not taken classes within the past year and has reapplied to MJC.
  5. What programs/majors does MJC offer?  The list of certificates and degrees offered at MJC is updated annually. You can find it here.


  1.  How many units must I enroll in to be a full-time student?  You must enroll in 12 units to be considered a full-time student. Students must complete an average of 15 units a semester in order to meet graduation requirements in four semesters. During the Fall and Spring semesters can register for up to 18 units and in the Summer for up to 12 units. We would recommend you speak with a counselor to discuss your course load if you are planning to take the maximum number of units allowed per semester.

  2.  Are there certain classes that I can’t enroll in? What is a prerequisite?  There are courses at MJC that will require completion of prerequisites before you can enroll in them. On the class search in PiratesNet, each course description will list the requirements or prerequisites if there are any. An example would be English 102. The prerequisite for English 102 is completion of English 101 with a grade of “C” or better. These courses must be satisfied in the order specified and the requirements of the first course must be met before you can enroll in the second course.

  3.  If I am currently enrolled in the prerequisite (and the semester is not yet finished) can I register in the next course?  The registration system will allow you to register in the next course if you are currently enrolled in the prerequisite. However, you will be dropped from the next course if you do not pass the prerequisite with a “C” or better. For example, if you are enrolled in Math 70 in the fall, you may register for Math 90 for the spring. Grades will be checked at the end of the fall semester and students with grades below “C” will be dropped from the spring courses that required that particular prerequisite.

  4.  What is a pass/ no pass course?  A grading system by which units of credit may be earned but no letter grade (A-F) is assigned. Such units are not used in computing the grade point average. The transcript will reflect a “P” for Pass with credit received or a “NP” for No Pass for no credit received.

  5.  If I get a D or F in a course, do I have to repeat it?  You may want to meet with a counselor in order to decide whether or not the course requires repetition. In most cases, you will want to earn a “C” grade or better. Students are allowed to repeat a course once, where a D or F grade was earned. Once a course has been repeated and improved, the original or lower grade will remain on your transcript but will not count towards your cumulative grade point average. In the case where you have to repeat a class a second time called a “third enrollment” you will need to see a counselor to be approved for registration into the class.

  6.  Where can I get proof of enrollment?  A proof of enrollment and verification of units is done at the Admissions and Records windows in the Student Services Building on the East Campus or in Yosemite Hall Rm. A133 on the West Campus.

  7.  Where can I get a Schedule of Classes or college catalog?  The Schedule of Classes and the College Catalog are two separate resources. MJC’s Schedule of Classes is available online only; it can be accessed from the homepage. It will show you the dates, times, and locations for classes within a particular semester. The College Catalog is a comprehensive book that provides general college information and lists the requirements for all of MJC’s certificates and degrees. The College Catalog is available online and can be purchased at the Pirates’ Bookstore (East Campus).

  8.  What if I need help with a class that I’m attending?  MJC provides a number of services to assist student when they need help. We have the Integrated Learning Centers on both East and West Campuses. These centers assist in the areas of math, English, science and the social sciences. These are utilized by students who want to meet regularly with a tutor. We also have a Math Drop-in Center for short, quick questions and a Writing Center to improve your writing skills. All of these services are free to MJC students.

  9.  How do I drop a class? Are there deadlines?  It is the student’s responsibility to drop classes. Instructors are not responsible for dropping students from classes. If you fail to drop classes, you may receive an“F” grade. You can drop classes through our online registration system on PiratesNet. There are deadlines to drop classes. These dates are listed on your class schedule. Drop dates vary by class section. Note that there is an early deadline to drop classes, where the course will not appear on your transcript. There is also a later deadline, where the course will appear and you will receive a “W” grade for withdrawal. Once the last deadline has passed, you will receive a letter grade for the class.

  10.  What do I do if I have a hold on my registration?  There are various types of holds (owed fees or books, dismissal, invalid address, etc). Check with the Admissions office on the East or West Campus. Once you know what type of hold that you have, you will need to complete the hold requirements before you are able to register for classes.


  1.  What does a counselor do? Do I need to see one?  A counselor assists with academic advising, career planning, personal counseling, transfer services, problem solving and decision making. Counselors can offer guidance throughout the time you are enrolled at MJC and it is recommended that you see a counselor as needed.

  2.  Am I assigned a particular counselor?  You may choose to meet with any of our counselors. You can choose to work with one particular counselor or you may choose to see any counselor that is available. We do not require students to meet with a particular counselor based on last name, major, grade level, etc.

  3.  How do I make an appointment to see a counselor?  To make an appointment to meet with a counselor you can go in person to the counseling office on the East Campus in the Student Services Building Rm. 226 from 8:00-5:00pm or call the office at 575-6080. Appointments are scheduled for fifty minutes. We have counseling appointments both on the East/ West campus. Please remember to check-in for your appointment when you arrive.

  4.  Can I see a counselor without an appointment?  Yes, normally Mondays-Thursdays we have times during the day for walk-ins primarily on the East Campus. On walk-ins, students can see a counselor to get general basic information or get answers to quick questions. A counselor can only assist you for a maximum of fifteen minutes on a walk-in. Walk-ins are on a first come, first-served basis and during peak times of the year you could be waiting over an hour. We suggest you call in to check on wait times.

  5.  Are evening appointments available?  Evening appointments are currently not available. On Tuesdays we do have walk-ins until 7:00pm. Remember walk-ins are only for general information and quick questions.

  6.  What should I bring with me when I see a counselor?  You will want to bring a list of questions and any paperwork you want to review with the counselor. If you have transcripts from a previous college you will want to review them with the counselor. If your transcripts are unofficial (opened, not in a sealed envelope), you can bring them to the counseling appointment in order for the counselor to view your previous work. If you already have an official copy   (unopened and in a sealed envelope), you should submit it to the Records Office on the 1st floor of the Student Services Building Rm. 102 on the East Campus. Upon receipt of outside transcripts, the student will be notified via the college issued student email that their transcripts have been received. In order to have a full evaluation of a transcript, students must submit an Evaluation Request Form. You can pick up the form from the Evaluations Office Rm. 110 in the Student Services Building. Plan to have your official transcript evaluated prior to your meeting with a counselor, if possible.

  7.  Do I need to meet with a counselor before I can register for classes?  Counselors do not register students for classes. They are there to assist you in course selection, goal setting and planning. It is recommended that you work with a counselor as needed. If you need help with the registration process, there is a registration computer lab in the Student Services Building Rm. 103 on the East Campus where you can get assistance with registration on PiratesNet.

  8.  What is a student educational plan?  A student educational plan is a map of your time at MJC. We typically refer to it as an “Ed Plan.” A counselor is able to assist you in making an educational plan for you to reach your goals. This plan will map out which courses you will need to take for the following semester(s). Educational plans are done on an appointment basis or in the guidance courses.

  9.  Do I need to see a counselor every semester?  It is recommended that you see a counselor on a regular basis. This will ensure that you have the most current information and you are on track to reach your goal.

  10.  Can I talk to a counselor about personal topics? Will it remain confidential?  Yes, you can speak with a counselor about personal topics. All of our counselors are skilled professionals that are able to assist you with personal counseling and discussions are confidential. However, counselors are required to report knowledge of the following types of information: a serious plan to harm yourself or others, child abuse or neglect, and elderly abuse and neglect. Counselors are also able to refer you to outside assistance if needed. Crisis counseling is also available to students.

  11.  Can I send a counselor a quick question online?  Yes, you can send a general counselor a quick question by using our online advising format. Go to our general counseling website and click on online advising. A counselor will usually respond to you within two working days. If you are requesting information during busy registration periods, the response time may be a bit slower. Plan ahead.

Academic Advising

  1.  What is a major? Do I have to declare one?  A major is an organized program of courses within a discipline leading to an Associate Degree, Vocational Certificate, or transfer to a college or university. It is not mandatory for a student to declare a major upon starting at MJC. If you haven’t declared a major and you would like to or if you have declared one and would like to change it you should meet with a counselor for assistance in major selection.

  2.  What is General Education?  General Education courses are sometimes called “breadth requirements”. These are courses outside of your major, required of everyone to obtain a degree, regardless of your major. They are designed to make you a “well rounded” person. It is recommended that you work with a counselor to ensure that you are following the correct General Education pattern to reach your specific goal.

  3.  What is a certificate program?  Certificates of achievement are granted for the completion of a specified program. They range in units from 12-60 and are offered in many areas such as agriculture, supervisory management, veterinary technician, and medical assisting. These state-approved certificates acknowledge workplace competencies and job readiness. Specific course requirements for each certificate are listed with the program descriptions in the Catalog. General education patterns are not required to earn a certificate.

  4.  What is an Associate of Arts/ Science (AA/AS) Degree?  An AA/AS Degree is a two year degree (based on four semesters of 15 units each) that consists of specific groups of classes. You may have from 20.5 to 30 units of General Education, 18-40 units of Major Requirements and other courses or electives to add up to a minimum of 60 semester units. You must also complete these courses with a 2.0 cumulative grade point average or higher. Please refer to the MJC catalog and a counselor for the most up-to-date information and requirements.


  1.  If I get an AA/AS can I automatically transfer to a four year college?  Completing and AA/AS does not guarantee that you are ready to transfer to a four year college. It requires careful planning to transfer. It is strongly recommended that you see a counselor as soon as you begin thinking about transferring. If you work closely with a counselor, you may fulfill your AA/AS and transfer requirements at the same time.

  2.  How do I transfer to another college?  In order to transfer successfully, you will want to meet with a counselor and visit our Career Development and Transfer Center. A counselor will help you to evaluate whether you have all of the requirements that you need to transfer. The Transfer Center is located in the Student Center on the East Campus. Some of the Transfer Center activities include TAG’s- Transfer Admission Guarantee Contracts, one-on-one appointments with counselors and university representatives, free campus tours of four-year universities, assistance with electronic applications and fee waivers, assistance with admission websites and articulation, the annual Transfer Day/College Night where many four-year universities are represented.  Visit the Transfer Center web site.


Contact Us

Phone: (209) 575-6080
Fax: (209) 575-6720

facbook logo


East Campus
Student Services Building
Room 226

West Campus
Yosemite Hall
Room 147

Fall & Spring Office Hours:
Monday - Friday
8:00 am - 5:00 pm

Summer Office Hours:
Monday - Thursday
7:30 am - 5:30 pm

(visit Walk-In Info for Counseling hours)