Under the direction of the Chancellor, the President serves as the Chief Executive
Officer of the college, overseeing the academic and student services functions for
Modesto Junior College, ensures sound fiscal and facilities management, and implements
statutes, regulations, policies, and procedures in consideration of the mission of
the District and College.
Criteria and Qualifications
- Strong decisive leadership experience and a consensus builder with a collaborative decision-making
style based on participatory governance which seeks to inspire and empower others;
evidence of accountability for decisions.
- Demonstrated management skills in resource development, financial management, strategic
planning, team building and labor relations.
- Excellent communication and interpersonal skills while maintaining high visibility
and an enthusiastic approach to internal and external responsibilities.
- Demonstrated educational leadership experience with a focus on learning, teaching
excellence, student success and student support services.
- Understanding of and commitment to the comprehensive community college with support
for building up instructional programs, transfer, career-technical, basic skills and
- Ability to work cooperatively with administrators, faculty, staff, students and community
members within an innovative unique organizational structure which supports student
- Ability to articulate a strong set of values and a clear and inclusive vision for
the enhancement of community college education and programs.
- Successful leadership in program development, evaluation and outcomes assessment with
demonstrated ability to motivate members of the college community to pursue excellence.
- Knowledge of key education initiatives and priorities in California with a full understanding
of the movement towards completion; e.g. Guided Pathways, Student Success and Equity,
Strong Workforce, etc.
- Evidence of effective leadership in establishing a positive institutional presence
and image in the community and promoting MJC as a vehicle of transformation to build
and form strong partnerships with various constituencies including business, labor,
public schools and community groups.
- Demonstrated working knowledge of student needs and a proactive approach to the implementation
of technology in academics, administration and/or management environments.
- Ability to promote a supportive and nurturing environment that facilitates the work,
growth and development of faculty and staff.
- A passion for education and excellence and the ability to communicate that passion
to learners, the community and the college family.
- An earned Master’s degree from an accredited university is required. An earned doctorate
- Successful senior-level administrative experience; and strong academic experience
in either teaching, counseling and/or other faculty experience.
The President of MJC, under the direction of the Yosemite Community College District’s
Chancellor, will be expected to provide strong visionary leadership with a high degree
of commitment and personal integrity to address the following issues in the next five
to ten years:
- The achievement of educational excellence leading to student success and completion.
- The expansion of programs and services designed to address student and community needs.
- The ability to view the responsibilities of the position of President through an equity
lens that seeks to increase the diversity within the faculty and staff who serve the
diverse students of MJC as an HSI institution.
- The promotion and facilitation of collegiality, civility and respect among all of
the College constituencies.
- The ability to lead the college through a continual and ongoing process in meeting
the goals and being prepared for the Accreditation process.
- The ability to increase the cohesive relationships between the College, its multi-campus
facilities, the District Office and Columbia College.
- The integration of technological advancements, academically and administratively.
- Leadership of the Modesto Junior College Foundation and the enhancement of the resources
available to the College.
- The development of the next Facilities Master Plan, including potential space needs
and upgrades to existing facilities through scheduled maintenance.
Desirable Professional Characteristics
The Chancellor of the Yosemite Community College District and the MJC Presidential
Search Committee will consider a candidate’s educational background, professional
experience and accomplishments, reputation and character in its search for a new president.
We seek a leader who:
- Has a personal understanding of the importance of diversity; and is sensitive to and
appreciative of ethnic and cultural diversity and students with unique and special
needs; and is committed to advancing the District’s efforts as a national leader in
tolerance and diversity education by empowering faculty, staff and other administrators
to lead with vision.
- Models a culture of collegiality among faculty, classified staff, and administration
with a keen appreciation for participatory governance.
- Demonstrates a consensus building leadership style that legitimizes others through
team building and trust, and has transparent management practices that evidence accountability
- Represents MJC through accessibility and visibility to all constituents within the
college and greater communities; and is willing to give strong consideration to living
within the geographic region of the college district; and has a commitment to civic