Under the direction of the Chancellor, the President serves as the Chief Executive Officer of the college, overseeing the academic and student services functions for Modesto Junior College, ensures sound fiscal and facilities management, and implements statutes, regulations, policies, and procedures in consideration of the mission of the District and College.
Criteria and Qualifications
- Strong decisive leadership experience and a consensus builder with a collaborative decision-making style based on participatory governance which seeks to inspire and empower others; evidence of accountability for decisions.
- Demonstrated management skills in resource development, financial management, strategic planning, team building and labor relations.
- Excellent communication and interpersonal skills while maintaining high visibility and an enthusiastic approach to internal and external responsibilities.
- Demonstrated educational leadership experience with a focus on learning, teaching excellence, student success and student support services.
- Understanding of and commitment to the comprehensive community college with support for building up instructional programs, transfer, career-technical, basic skills and lifelong learning.
- Ability to work cooperatively with administrators, faculty, staff, students and community members within an innovative unique organizational structure which supports student learning.
- Ability to articulate a strong set of values and a clear and inclusive vision for the enhancement of community college education and programs.
- Successful leadership in program development, evaluation and outcomes assessment with demonstrated ability to motivate members of the college community to pursue excellence.
- Knowledge of key education initiatives and priorities in California with a full understanding of the movement towards completion; e.g. Guided Pathways, Student Success and Equity, Strong Workforce, etc.
- Evidence of effective leadership in establishing a positive institutional presence and image in the community and promoting MJC as a vehicle of transformation to build and form strong partnerships with various constituencies including business, labor, public schools and community groups.
- Demonstrated working knowledge of student needs and a proactive approach to the implementation of technology in academics, administration and/or management environments.
- Ability to promote a supportive and nurturing environment that facilitates the work, growth and development of faculty and staff.
- A passion for education and excellence and the ability to communicate that passion to learners, the community and the college family.
- An earned Master’s degree from an accredited university is required. An earned doctorate is preferred.
- Successful senior-level administrative experience; and strong academic experience in either teaching, counseling and/or other faculty experience.
The President of MJC, under the direction of the Yosemite Community College District’s Chancellor, will be expected to provide strong visionary leadership with a high degree of commitment and personal integrity to address the following issues in the next five to ten years:
- The achievement of educational excellence leading to student success and completion.
- The expansion of programs and services designed to address student and community needs.
- The ability to view the responsibilities of the position of President through an equity lens that seeks to increase the diversity within the faculty and staff who serve the diverse students of MJC as an HSI institution.
- The promotion and facilitation of collegiality, civility and respect among all of the College constituencies.
- The ability to lead the college through a continual and ongoing process in meeting the goals and being prepared for the Accreditation process.
- The ability to increase the cohesive relationships between the College, its multi-campus facilities, the District Office and Columbia College.
- The integration of technological advancements, academically and administratively.
- Leadership of the Modesto Junior College Foundation and the enhancement of the resources available to the College.
- The development of the next Facilities Master Plan, including potential space needs and upgrades to existing facilities through scheduled maintenance.
Desirable Professional Characteristics
The Chancellor of the Yosemite Community College District and the MJC Presidential Search Committee will consider a candidate’s educational background, professional experience and accomplishments, reputation and character in its search for a new president.
We seek a leader who:
- Has a personal understanding of the importance of diversity; and is sensitive to and appreciative of ethnic and cultural diversity and students with unique and special needs; and is committed to advancing the District’s efforts as a national leader in tolerance and diversity education by empowering faculty, staff and other administrators to lead with vision.
- Models a culture of collegiality among faculty, classified staff, and administration with a keen appreciation for participatory governance.
- Demonstrates a consensus building leadership style that legitimizes others through team building and trust, and has transparent management practices that evidence accountability for decisions.
- Represents MJC through accessibility and visibility to all constituents within the college and greater communities; and is willing to give strong consideration to living within the geographic region of the college district; and has a commitment to civic engagement.