Certified Nursing Assistant - Frequently Asked Questions
- Are there any prerequisites to becoming a Nurse Assistant?
No, there are no prerequisites for this class.
- What does a Certified Nursing Assistant do?
The Nurse Assistant provides direct, hands-on patient care and is often the person who has the most intimate contact with the patient. The Nurse Assistants will learn safe and effective ways to assist ill, disabled, and/or elderly people with the basic activities of living, such as:
- Where do Nurse Assistants work?
The Nurse Assistant can work in almost any area of health care. The only limitation is that, because the Nurse Assistant is a role that is dependent on others with more training and expertise, there must be a licensed healthcare provider directing the care and supervising the Nurse Assistant. In general, however, Nurse Assistants can be found throughout healthcare:
Skilled and long-term nursing facilities;
Assisted living facilities;
Home Health agencies;
Clinics and outpatient services.
- is the salary for a Certified Nurse Assistant in California?
Salaries of Certified Nurse Assistants and Home Health Aides 2017 - 2018 Occupation Hourly Average Wage Annual Average Wage Nurse Assistants (CNA) $14.84 $30,870 Home Health Aides (HHA) $13.06 $27,170 Accessed from Bureau of Labor Statistics - see: https://www.bls.gov/ooh/healthcare/nursing-assistants
- is your policy on hair?
During clinical hair must be worn up at all time. Hair must be original colors NOT blue, pink, purple etc.
- What is your policy on tattoos?
All tattoos must be covered when in clinical.
- What is your policy on jewelry?
No jewelry worn during clinical.
- What are the uniform requirements?
White nursing uniform top, navy blue uniform pants, and white non-skid shoes.
- If I obtain my C.N.A. training in California but plan to work in another state will
I be required to test in that state?
- My CNA license expired do I need to complete the course again?
Please contact California Department of Public Health for requirements. You can find more information on their website is www.cdph.ca.gov
- Once I become a C.N.A., how long is my certification active?
- Is there financial aid available to take this class?
No financial aid is available for this program. You may find scholarship information here: MJC Scholarships