All accidents in District vehicles and personal vehicles while being driven on District business must be reported within 24-hours by submitting a “Vehicle Incident Report” form. It is imperative that the District become aware of any potential claim as soon as possible. These forms are located in each vehicle enclosed with the vehicle registration information. Contact the Transportation Department or College Facilities Office for additional forms. In addition, you must report all accidents occurring when using your personal vehicle while on District business.
When an accident happens try to remain calm, and:
- Survey the scene; make sure that you and your passengers remain safe. Do not put yourself in additional danger.
- Check all involved for injuries.
- Contact authorities if there are injuries (you must report all accidents with injuries).
- Contact Transportation or one of the personnel listed on the Mileage Report when there are injuries and damage to the vehicle occurs. If you feel the vehicle has become unsafe to operate, do not drive it.
- Disposable cameras are also in the vehicles. You or one of your passengers should take pictures as soon as possible, before the accident scene changes. Try to get at least one picture that includes the vehicle(s) license plate.
- Exchange information with the other party, if appropriate and with the authorities.
- Gather information for the Vehicle Incident Report form. Having the authorities prepare a report does not relieve you of your responsibility. Write everything that happened and that you saw, even if it seems insignificant in detail. Describe in your words what happened. (The longer you put off writing the details, the less accurate they will become.) Have all passengers’ names and contact information on the report.
- Do not leave the scene of the accident until released by authorities.
- DO NOT admit fault.
- DO NOT suggest or agree to any settlement on behalf of yourself or the District. The other party must contact their insurance company and we will contact the District insurance company. Their insurance company and the District’s insurance company will work together to settle any claims.
- DO provide the District’s insurance carrier information as well as the District’s Claim Adjuster’s name and phone number. This information is in the envelope.
- A District representative from Transportation, Risk Management or the District Claim Administrator may contact you for additional information.
- Contact Keith Meredith (575-6578) or Dorothy Pimentel (575-6963) for assistance in completing the report form and for any questions or problems.