MJC 95th Commencement Ceremony
6 p.m., Friday, April 28, 2017
Stadium, East Campus
MJC will have awarded an approximate total of 1,700 associate degrees to 1,400 students during the 2016-2017 academic year, pending recipients’ successful completion of the spring semester. Additionally, 600 certificates of achievement will be awarded to 450 individuals for this academic year. Approximately 600 of these graduates plan to participate in MJC’s annual Commencement Ceremony. A reception for MJC graduates and their guests is held immediately following the graduation ceremony in the Student Center Rotunda. Graduates, families and faculty are invited to attend these celebrations! Both the ceremony and reception are free and open to the public.
Addressing the Class of 2017 at the Commencement Ceremony is graduating student Tim Truax presenting “Your Dash-Continued!” He is graduating with honors having earned an Associate in Science degree in animal science. During his two years at MJC, Truax was very involved in the Agriculture Department, where he served as a member of the discussion meet team, spear-headed various committees, and most recently served as the Young Farmer President.
Student soloist Julia Marsen will sing the national anthem, and music by the MJC Combined Symphonic and Concert Bands, under the direction of Professor Erik Maki, will highlight the ceremony.
The graduation program also features the presentation of the 2017 MJC Distinguished Alumni Award to Marian Kaanon, CEO of the Stanislaus Community Foundation, which provides grants and scholarships to community organizations in Stanislaus County. To date, the organization has invested nearly $13 million in local nonprofits and students, and since Kaanon took the helm in 2012, the organization has nearly doubled its charitable assets, and launched two education initiatives: Stanislaus READS! and Stanislaus Futures.
INFORMATION FOR GRADUATES
Associate Degree Evaluation/Application
You can still apply for graduation this spring! However, the deadline to have your
name printed in the Commencement Ceremony program has passed. Applications available
Caps, Gowns, and Honor Cords
Caps, gowns, and honor cords are available for purchase in the East Campus Bookstore. The graduation cap and gown package includes the tassel. Tassels are available separately as well. No advance measurements are necessary. For more information about class and graduation souvenirs, call 575-6840.
Graduation Luncheon – April 21
The festivities begin the week before Commencement with a Graduation Luncheon on Friday, April 21, at 12 noon in the Mary Stuart Rogers Student Learning Center on West Campus. The luncheon features an address entitled “Communal Strength” by graduating sister and brother Bailey and Bradford Phelps, and presentation of a letter poem entitled “May the Force Be With Modesto Junior College” by Professor Sam Pierstorff, written to commemorate the college’s 95th birthday. Luncheon tickets must be purchased in advance and are available for $12 in the Pirates’ Bookstore on East Campus.
Photographs will be taken as each graduate crosses the stage at the Commencement Ceremony. Proofs along with order forms will be mailed to each student 5-7 days following Commencement. For further questions, please contact Grad Images directly online at: www.gradimages.com. Personal photographs are also permitted during the ceremony. Please be mindful of blocking the view of others and remain seated.
Please Advise Your Graduation Guests
No balloons, air horns, poppers or cow bells are permitted at the Commencement Ceremony in the Stadium. Please inform your family and guests. Campus Security will also be performing bag checks at the gate to prevent the presence of weapons, alcohol, and drugs on campus.
Dressing for Commencement
Clothing is required under your graduation gown. Dress up if you would like, after all, it’s a celebration! However, please dress according to the weather as it can be quite warm. You will be walking on the track and grassy areas. A flat, low heel or a wedge type shoe is recommended. Sunscreen is also recommended. Remember, personal belongings cannot be left in the Gym.
1. Graduates check in at the Gym (East Campus) at 4:30 p.m. You will be given a card with ceremony instructions. The card will also have a place to write your name. Your name will be announced on stage as it appears on the card.
2. Please be courteous to others and turn off all electronic devices.
3. Tassels on the caps should be worn on the right side over the right eye until the degree has been conferred. Once this is done, you will be instructed to turn your tassel to the opposite side.
4. Student Marshals will organize the procession lines and direct you to your seat. Follow the person ahead of you.
5. Men should remove their caps during the National Anthem and everyone should remain standing until asked to be seated.
6. You will be asked to rise after the Academic Senate President has finished speaking.
7. You will be asked to proceed by row to the stage. Hand your card to the reader. If your name is difficult to pronounce, please assist the reader by pronouncing your name to him or her.
8. Enter the stage from the side ramps. Exit from the center. Student Marshals will instruct you on when to be seated.
9. Pictures will be taken of each graduate as you cross the stage.
10. Student Marshals will organize the procession lines and direct you to your seat. Follow the person in front of you.
11. You and your family are invited to the Student Center for refreshments immediately following the ceremony.
In Case of Rain
If it rains, Commencement will be relocated to the West Campus ACE Pavilion, and guest tickets are required and limited to four per graduate. The Pavilion has limited seating and ticket holders are accepted at the doors on a first come first served basis until Pavilion is filled to capacity. Turned away ticket holders can watch via live feed on West Campus in Sierra Hall, Rooms 132 and 137. When Commencement is held in the Stadium, tickets are not required and graduates may invite as many guests as they would like. Rain tickets for the ceremony will be issued in the Bookstore when picking up caps and gowns. (Do not lose rain tickets, replacements will not be issued.) If you are borrowing a cap and gown, please bring your borrowed cap and gown and to the Bookstore to obtain rainy day tickets. In the event of rain, the 4:30 p.m. Student Line-Up will take place in ACE Pavilion. The Commencement Reception will immediately follow in the ACE Pavilion.
Requests for wheelchair seating and other accommodations for graduates and family members should be made by April 21 by calling 575-6866. Additional ADA parking is available in Parking Lot #108 (ADA Placard required).
MJC Alumni Association
Modesto Junior College Alumni Association offers a variety of benefits. As a graduate you are automatically a member of the Alumni Association. For more information contact us at 575-6619 or visit www.modestojcfoundation.org.