CALL 9-1-1 FROM A SAFE LOCATION, THEN CAMPUS SAFETY 575-6351.
DO NOT TRY TO FIGHT A FIRE UNLESS YOU HAVE BEEN TRAINED TO DO SO.
R.A.C.E. to safety from a fire.
R = RESCUE anyone in immediate danger from the fire if it does not endanger your life.
A = ALARM by sounding the alarm when activating the pull station alarm box.
C = CONFINE the fire by closing all doors.
E = EVACUATE to the building evacuation assembly point.
- If you smell smoke, prior to opening a door, feel if the door is HOT. Open cautiously.
- Leave the area at once. If smoky, stay near the floor where there is less smoke.
- Evacuate the building calmly, but quickly, proceeding to the evacuation assembly point.
- DO NOT TRY TO USE ELEVATORS. They act like a chimney in a fire.
- Assist persons of disability on upper floors to an area of safe refuge (usually a stairwell landing), ask someone to stay with them and alert responders of their location.
- If trapped, stay calm. Alert emergency crews by trying the telephone, placing a sign or clothing in a window, whistle, shout or bang on a solid surface atintervals. Stuff material in door cracks to minimize smoke and stay low. Do NOT open a window.