Modesto Junior College honors and applies many International Baccalaureate (IB) exam scores toward the fulfillment of college requirements and will grant credit in accordance with the following policies and procedures.
To request IB Diploma Transcripts for MJC
- Complete an application to enroll at MJC. IB scores can only be used for academic credit by enrolled MJC students.
- Contact the IB Diploma Program Coordinator at the high school attended to request
that the student’s official Diploma Program Transcript be sent to:
Modesto Junior College
435 College Avenue
Modesto, CA 95350
For more information:http://www.ibo.org/en/programmes
Allow 4-6 weeks before logging in to Piratesnet to check your unofficial transcript. You will see how your IB scores have been interpreted in accordance with MJC policy. For example, a student who has successfully completed the IP Biology examination will see this on the transcript:
IB Diploma Program Evaluation Process
Upon MJC’s receipt of the IB Diploma Program Transcript, IB Examination scores of 5, 6, or 7 will automatically:
- apply as elective unit credit to the 60 units required for associate degree
- be used to satisfy General Education breadth area and unit requirements as indicated on the IB Grid on the following page.
Using IB Scores for MJC Requirements
For Degrees, Certificates, or Skills Recognition Requirements
- To use an IB score to satisfy a course requirement for an MJC award, follow the Course Substitution Process upheld by the college division that offers the course. Visit the division office to get a Course Substitution form.
TO SATISFY Prerequisites for courses
To Satisfy Prerequisites for Courses
To use an IB examination score to satisfy a course prerequisite, students will need to request and complete a Prerequisite Challenge Petition in the division office offering the course. TRANSFER CAUTION: CSU and UC policies vary on the use of IB credit to satisfy academic requirements. Students who use IB scores to satisfy prerequisites at MJC may encounter later challenges meeting academic requirements at the transfer institution. Students should review IB credit policies at their targeted transfer institutions before attempting to use IB credit to satisfy prerequisites at MJC.
Transferring with IB Credit
If the student plans to transfer to a public or private university to pursue a baccalaureate degree, bear in mind that IB credit-granting policies vary at each institution for:
- major requirements
- baccalaureate degree requirements
- GE Breadth requirements
MJC students who have earned course credit at MJC for an IB exam should not take the comparable MJC course. Transfer credit will not be granted for both.To learn about IB credit-granting policies upheld by transfer institutions, students should meet with an MJC counselor and research IB policies on the Internet.
CSU-GE Breadth - IB CREDIT
Because the CSU system honors full or area CSU-GE “breadth certifications” from MJC for the baccalaureate degree, certifications showing that IB scores were used to satisfy MJC’s CSU-GE requirements will also satisfy the transfer CSU’s breadth requirement for baccalaureate degree. For more information on the CSU-GE Certification process and IB examinations, visit the Counseling Office, Student Services Building, Room 226. (CSU Executive Order 1036, Section 1.2.4)
IB Allowances and Restrictions
- Units earned from AP exams, while recorded as “pass/no pass” or “P/NP” units on the transcript, are not subject to the college maximum of 14 units of P/NP grading.
- Units earned from IB exams will not be considered units earned through “Credit by Examination" and therefore are not subject to the college’s maximum of 30 Credit by Examination units.
- Only Higher Level (HL) exams can be used to satisfy requirements.
- Credit earned for IB exams cannot be used in lieu of MJC Assessment test scores to place into courses with prerequisites in English, reading or math. Students must complete the MJC Assessment process to ensure accurate placement.
- Units earned from IB exams cannot be used to satisfy the college’s Twelve-Units-in-Residence requirement for associate degree.
- Units earned from IB exams cannot be used as evidence of enrollment at MJC in order to satisfy eligibility criteria for financial aid, veterans programs, or EOP&S.
IB Credit Crosswalk for MJC
|IB EXAM||Competency Met||Min. IB Score||MJC- GE Area||Units Earned||Min. IB Score||CSU-GE Area||Units Earned||Min. IB Score||IGETC Area||Units Earned|
|Biology HL (without lab)||5||A||3||5||B2||3||5||5B||3|
|Chemistry HL (without lab)||5||A||3||5||B1||3||5||5A||3|
|History HL (any region)||5||B or C 1.||3||5||C2 or D6 1.||3||5||3B or 4 1.||3|
|Language A HL* Literature||5||C||3||5||3B & 6A||3|
|(any language except English)|
|Language A HL* Language & Literature||5||C||3||5||3B & 6A||3|
|(any language except English)|
|Language A HL* Literature (any language)||5||C||3||4||C2||3||5||3B||3|
|Language A HL * Language & Literature (any language)||5||C||3||4||C2||3||5||3B||3|
|Language B HL * (any language)||5||C||5||N/A||5||6A||3|
|Language A1 (any language) HL||5||C||3||4||C22||3|
|Language A2 (any language) HL||5||C||3||4||C22||3|
|Physics HL (without lab)||5||A||3||5||B1||3||5||5A||3|
*The IB curriculum offers language at various levels for native and non-native speakers. Language B courses are offered at the intermediate level for non-natives. Language A1 and A2 are advanced courses in literature for native and non-native speakers respectively.
HL “Higher Level” Exams only
1.IB Examinations may be used in either area regardless of where the certifying CCC’s discipline is located.
2 . Exam taken before fall 2013 earns 3 units of credit of CSU Breadth