For more information on CPL and to create an education plan, which is required in order to earn credit through prior learning, contact Counseling at MJCCPL@yosemite.edu or at (209) 575-6157 to set up a “CPL Ed Plan Appointment.”
Here are some additional policies to help you understand "Credit for Prior Learning".
Students interested in CPL using Joint Service Transcripts shall receive credit as recommended by the American Council on Education (ACE) Directory and approved by the appropriate MJC discipline faculty under the following circumstances:
- The student has completed the Credit for Prior Learning assessment petition.
- Official transcripts are on file:
- Joint Services Transcript (JST)
- Sailor/Marine American Council on Education Registry Transcript (SMART)
- Army and American Council on Education Registry Transcript Service (AARTS)
- Community College of the Air Force (CCAF) Coast Guard Institute (CGI)
- Defense Language Institute Foreign Language Transcripts (DLIFLC)
- Defense Manpower Data Center (DMDC)
- DLPT Examinee Results
- DA Form 330 Language Proficiency Questionnaire
- Verified copies of DD214 or DD295 military records
- Credit course equivalency shall be determined by the appropriate program faculty designee.
- Grading shall be according to the regular grading system in accordance with YCCD Board Policy 4230: Grading and Academic Record Symbols.
- Courses shall be graded using the college's grading system established by Title 5 and published in the respective college catalog
- Students shall be offered a “Pass/No Pass” option if that option is ordinarily available for the course.
- Students shall be given the opportunity to accept, decline, or appeal the grade assigned by the faculty. Any change of grade shall follow Board Policy 4231: Grade Changes.
- The student cannot be currently enrolled in the course sought for Credit for Prior Learning.
- The student is not currently enrolled in nor has not received credit for a more advanced course in the same subject.
- Credits acquired by CPL cannot be not used to satisfy unit load requirements for the Selective Service deferment, Veterans, or Social Security benefits.
- Credits acquired by examination cannot be used to satisfy the 12 semester hours of credit "in-residence" required for an Associate degree for Modesto Junior College.
Students planning to transfer should be aware that any CPL credit granted by MJC will also be subject to evaluation by the transfer institution. The District cannot guarantee that CPL granted by the District will also be granted by the transfer institution. Applicability of CPL credits toward the baccalaureate degree is ultimately determined by the transfer institution.
The MJC Pathway Mapper is an interactive tool to help guide you to a field of study that will help you achieve your college goals in a reasonable timeframe. You are able to review certificate and degree program maps that show you the semester by semester course plan from start to finish.
- The student must have a current application on file and be in good standing in the District. A student is in good standing when the cumulative college grade point average is 2.0 or better, and the student has completed fewer than 50% of the overall units attempted with grades of “W,” “I,” “NP,” and “NC.”
- Current students must have an education plan on file.
- Credit will only be granted for a course currently offered at Modesto Junior College as evidenced by the current college catalog