Grading Options During COVID-19
Due to COVID-19 and the transition to remote learning, MJC students will have more drop and grading options. Students may drop and automatically receive an Excused Withdrawal (EW). An EW will not affect your GPA. MJC has also extended the deadline to request a Pass/No Pass.
We encourage students to stay enrolled and speak with their Instructors and counselors. Refer to the information and FAQ below for details about EW and Pass/No Pass.
Am I eligible for an Excused Withdrawal (EW)?
- For Spring 2020 the EW is available to students who have dropped after March 4, 2020.
- For Summer 2020 the EW is automatically awarded to students who drop by "Last Day to Drop Deadline" -- check your class schedule or PiratesNet for these dates.
- For Fall 2020 the EW is automatically awarded to students who drop by "Last Day to Drop Deadline" -- check your class schedule or PiratesNet for these dates.
- If you remain in the course until the end and are failing, speak to your instructor about receiving an EW as a final grade.
I received an EW for a course; can I repeat the course in the future?
- Yes, you can retake the course in the future. Your previous attempt will not count against you.
What if I earn a non-passing grade?
- If you are earning a "D" letter grade, your instructor will work with you to determine if an EW is the best option.
- If you are earning a "F" letter grade, you will be contacted regarding EW options.
- You have the right to petition a final grade to be changed to EW for up to one year after the course end. Click here for petition options.
Can I request a Pass/No Pass (P/NP) option?
- Spring 2020, you can choose P/NP grade option until April 24, 2020.
- Summer 2020, you can choose P/NP grade option until August 7, 2020.
- Fall 2020, you can choose P/NP grade option until December 4, 2020.
- Students should meet with a counselor to determine if P/NP meets their academic goals.
- Pass/No Pass is not part of your GPA calculation. Whether you receive a Pass or a No Pass, it does not affect your GPA
- Students can request a P/NP or that the Pass be changed back to a letter grade by completing the Pass/No Pass form.
Please contact the Enrollment Services Office at email@example.com if you have questions about your transcript or grading options.
We are also available on Live Chat! Visit MJC.edu and click the orange button at the bottom right hand corner.