The Modesto Junior College English Language Learner Welcome Center will celebrate its grand opening with an Open House from 11 a.m. to 1 p.m. on Thursday, July 28. The center is located in John Muir 152 on West Campus, 2201 Blue Gum Avenue, Modesto. The event is free and open to the public.
Community members are invited to tour the center and learn how it offers support and guidance to newcomers, immigrants, and refugees as they embark on their new journey at the college. Attendees will have the opportunity to interact with students and hear their stories, and find out about the college’s language instruction programs.
Local organizations and agencies that also serve this area are invited to attend and find out how language instruction builds community equity and how they can become involved and partner with the center.
Refreshments will be provided by the Foodfix Truck, which was recently featured on the Food Network television channel. For more information on the Open House contact Ruth Luman, Professor of English, at (209) 575-6477.
Upcoming Welcome Center Events:
The English Language Learner Welcome Center will have free events open to the community on Thursdays this fall in John Muir Hall, Room 152, on West Campus.
- Sept. 15: Financial Aid Workshop – what is available and how to apply, 10:30-11:30 a.m. and 11:45 a.m.-12:45 p.m.
- Sept. 29: College Resource Fair – learn about help available at the college, 10 a.m. to 1 p.m.
- Oct. 13: Your MJC PiratesNet Account – use email, get grades, see your transcript, 10:30-11:30 a.m. and 11:45 a.m.-12:45 p.m.
- Nov. 10: Community Resource Fair – learn about what’s available in the community, 10 a.m. to 1 p.m.
- Dec. 1: Immigration Workshop – immigrant rights and documentation solutions, 10:30-11:30 a.m. and 11:45 a.m.-12:45 p.m.
Walk-in hours: 9-11 a.m. Mondays and Wednesdays; 1-3 p.m. Tuesdays and Thursdays
Appointments: 1-3 p.m. Mondays and Wednesdays; 9-11 a.m. Tuesdays and Thursdays