Students at the M.J.C. East Campus

Need help?

Contact the friendly Admissions Office staff if you have questions about adding or dropping classes, or filing for pass/no pass.

The Assessment Testing Office administers tests to help you select appropriate courses or satisfy pre-requisites.

International students should start by visiting the International Student Program.

Modesto Junior College


California Residency Requirement

New and returning students are classified as either a California resident or a California non-resident for out-of-state tuition purposes. Residency is determined when a student applies for admission to the college. In order to determine California residency during the application process, students are sometimes required to submit copies of INS documentation or documentation showing intent to make California their permanent residence.

Definition of a Non-RESIDENT

A “non-resident” is a person who has either not resided in California for the full one-year period before the residence determination date (first day of classes for each semester) or is a person who is precluded by INS from establishing residency, regardless of length of presence in California.  Nonresident students are required to pay an additional $219 per unit tuition (subject to change), in addition to their other fees.

How CALIFORNIA Residency is determined

Residency is determined by the length of physical presence in the State of California (minimum of one year and one day prior to the first day of the semester or summer session) and the “intent” to make California one’s residence. Students who have resided in California fewer than two years must prove “intent”. To prove intent, students who have lived in California fewer than two years should submit two proofs from the following list with their Admissions Application:

- Owning or renting residential property in California for personal use
- Registering to vote in California
- Paying California State income taxes
- Possessing a California driver’s license or identification card
- Registering a motor vehicle in California
- Having an active checking and/or savings account in a California bank
- Other proofs of intent may be considered by the college


Active duty military students and their dependents residing in California are considered California residents.

Members of the armed forces who were stationed in California on active duty for more than one year prior to being discharged from the service may be classified as a resident for up to one year if they live in California after being discharged.

Effective for periods of enrollment beginning after July 1, 2009, MJC will charge in-state tuition rates for a member of the armed services on active duty for more than 30 days if their domicile or permanent duty station is in California.  The same benefit is also extended to the service member’s spouse and dependent children, and will be continued for as long as the student maintains continual enrollment at the institution, even if the duty station changes.


Credentialed employees and their dependents, migrant agricultural workers and their dependents may also be considered California residents for educational purposes.


Non-citizen students, if their visa does not preclude them from establishing residency in the United States, may be classified as residents if they have resided in California more than one year and if INS documents were issued or approved more than one year prior to the beginning of the term. Examples of INS documentation that may be requested include:

- Resident Alien Card
- Permanent Resident Card
- I-94 Form
- Visa
- Passport
- Temporary Resident Card

Students whose INS documents were issued less than one year and one day prior to the start of the semester will be considered non-residents for tuition purposes.

AB 540: Exemption from Non -Resident Tuition

Consistent with AB 540, non-resident students who meet all of the following requirements can be exempted from paying non-resident tuition. Students who are exempted from paying non-resident tuition (pursuant to Section 68130.5 and Section 68130.7 of the California Education Code) do not become residents for eligibility purposes for any state-funded program.

Students who meet all of the following criteria may be exempted from paying non-resident tuition:

*The student must have attended a California high school for three or more years
*The student must have graduated from a California high school or attained the equivalent thereof.
*In the case of a student without lawful immigration status, an affidavit must be filed with the college that indicates the student has applied for legalization or will do so as soon as the student is eligible to do so.

Students who are non-immigrant aliens (the most common being the F series student Visas and B series visitor visas) are not eligible for this exemption.

How to Appeal Residency Status

New Students
Prospective students wishing to appeal residency status requirements must first complete an Admissions Application. Once residency has been determined by the Admissions Office, students may then appeal their status in the Admissions Office by completing a Residency Consideration Form or the AB-540 Form.  Appeals will be answered in writing and will be final. International students whose visas preclude establishment of residency will not be granted an appeal. For questions about residency, telephone the Enrollment Services Office at (209) 575-6853.

Continuing Students
Continuing students whose residency status may change in a future term should complete a Residency Consideration Form in the Admissions Office. Students may be asked to provide supporting documentation. With appropriate documentation, if the change status is approved, Admissions staff can make the change immediately.


Contact Us
Phone: (209) 575-6853
Fax:      (209) 575-6859

EAST Campus
435 College Avenue
Student Services Bldg 1st FLR
Fall/Spring Hours:
M-F: 8-5 and
Tu: 8-7 (During Semester)

WEST Campus
2201 Blue Gum Avenue
Yosemite Hall Lobby
Fall/Spring Hours:
M-F: 8-4:30